Zap Energy is currently looking for experienced, accomplished, self-motivated Fusion Plasma Research Scientists to lead experimental campaigns, including data analysis, reduction, error propagation, publication, and presentation of experimental and computational results.
These positions will work with other Zap Energy scientific, engineering, and technical staff on the design, assembly, fielding, and operations of the next-generation Zap Energy SFS Z-pinch experiment. Scientists will also co-supervise other scientific staff. The ideal candidate is an organized, inventive problem solver, capable of working through technical challenges and employing sound, pragmatic solutions through team efforts.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead experimental campaigns
- Working with Zap Energy scientific, engineering, and technical staff, assist in the design, assembly, fielding, and operations of Zap Energy research experiments
- Perform data analysis, reduction, error propagation, publication, and presentation of experimental results, including computational results
- Assist design, fielding, and operations of one or more plasma diagnostic systems (interferometry, spectroscopy, neutronics, and/or magnetics, etc.)
- Co-supervise Zap Energy Scientists
Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to lead assigned projects and supervise scientific and technical staff
- Experience in design, procurement, assembly, fielding, operations, and analysis of fusion plasma physics experiments
- Ability to formulate and execute experimental run campaigns
- Detailed knowledge of plasma diagnostics and instrumentation including:
- Laser interferometry (pulsed digital holographic interferometry; CW heterodyne quadrature interferometry, etc.)
- Spectroscopy (ion Doppler temperature and velocity measurements; soft X-ray electron temperature measurements; SPRED; etc.)
- Neutronics (scintillator/PMT systems in pulse counting & current mode and calibration; activation detectors, etc.)
- Magnetics (probes; Rogowski coils; current transformers, etc.)
- Data acquisition systems
- Data analysis including reduction, interpretation, and error analysis
- Ability to field and maintain one or more of the above diagnostics
- Demonstrated publication record
- Excellent written and communication skills
- 5-10+ years post-PhD experience in fusion plasma physics research
Benefits of joining Zap Energy - While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Premium medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
Zap Energy is building a low-cost, compact and scalable fusion energy platform that conﬁnes and compresses plasma without the need for expensive and complex magnetic coils. Zap’s sheared-flow-stabilized Z-pinch technology offers the shortest potential path to commercially viable fusion and requires orders of magnitude less capital than traditional approaches. Zap Energy has over 60 employees in two facilities near Seattle and is backed by leading ﬁnancial and strategic investors. Zap Energy is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org