Zap Energy is currently looking for an Electrical Engineer with deep subject matter expertise in power converter electronics to design, construct, and test power supply modules for high-voltage high-power plasma discharges. This individual will have a key, hands-on role in the development of repetitive pulsed power systems for our fusion z-pinch devices. The ideal candidate is an organized, inventive problem solver, capable of working through technical challenges and employing sound, pragmatic solutions through team efforts.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Research and development of novel MW-scale power supply architectures
- Conceptualizing and executing the full systems engineering V-model (i.e., requirements, architecture, design, test, operations, etc.)
- Detailed design and documentation of power supply hardware components
- Oversee the testing and refinement of subscale prototypes
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related discipline
- Experience with the research and development of high-efficiency high-density power converters
- Proficiency in the simulation and modeling of power converters, including analysis of simulation data and validation with test results.
- Experience with high voltage electronics and thermal management
- Experience with semiconductor based switch technologies (e.g., thyristor/SCR, IGBTs, SiC MOSFET, etc.)
- Knowledge of industrial state-of-the-art in AC/DC and DC/AC converters for grid level applications
- Demonstrated ability to complete assigned projects, working with technical staff
- Excellent written and communication skills
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related discipline
- High power plasma arc / torch power supplies for applications such as waste gasification
- High-average-power particle accelerator power supplies for free electron lasers, electron-beam food irradiation, etc.
- Physics/engineering research lab environments
Benefits of joining Zap Energy - While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Premium medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
Zap Energy Inc. is developing and commercializing fusion energy technology using stabilized Z-pinches. Fusion energy provides a nearly-limitless and carbon-free source of clean energy. The highly-motivated scientific and technical team is conducting fast-paced, exciting, break-through work to push the sheared-flow stabilized (SFS) Z-pinch
technology toward scientific breakeven conditions: successful achievement of this goal will revolutionize energy production. Zap Energy is a well-funded spinout company from the University of Washington, located in the greater Seattle area.
Zap Energy Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.
Please contact email@example.com