ZEI is currently looking for an experienced Computational Scientist to assist in developing computer models that will guide the understanding of how the Z pinch operates. Working in collaboration with the entire computational team, the Scientist will be responsible for developing high-fidelity whole-device models based on magnetohydrodynamics (MHD). The modeling will provide a predictive understanding of the pinch density and temperature and help to develop timing and other solutions suitable for next-step SFS Z-pinch devices. The ideal candidate is an organized, inventive problem solver, and an effective team player with proven technical ability.
Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
This position is funded to begin immediately.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop and implement modeling that captures the essential physics in the generation and dynamics of the Z-pinch plasma
- Attend conferences and produce publications describing research results
- Reports to the Zap Energy Principal Computational Scientist
Qualifications and Skills:
- MS in fusion plasma physics or closely related field
- Detailed knowledge of computational modeling of plasma devices, including direct experience with MHD algorithms
- Excellent coding skills, including C++, Fortran, MPI, etc.
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Demonstrated publication record
- PhD with 0 - 4 years post-PhD experience
- Experience using modeling to support experimental progress
- Experience modeling z pinch plasmas
- Expertise in high performance computing workflows
- Familiarity with software-development practices including the Git version-control system
Benefits of joining Zap Energy - While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Premium medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
Zap Energy Inc. is developing and commercializing fusion energy technology using the sheared-flow stabilized (SFS) Z-pinch. The highly-motivated scientific and technical team is conducting fast-paced, exciting, break-through work to push the SFS Z-pinch technology toward scientific breakeven conditions: successful achievement of this goal will revolutionize energy production. Zap Energy's approach represents the most elegant fusion configuration, as it does not require magnetic field coils nor auxiliary heating. Zap Energy focuses on rigorous experimental and computational research methodologies. Zap Energy is a well-funded spinout company from the University of Washington, located in the northern Seattle WA area.
Zap Energy Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.
Please contact email@example.com