Zap Energy is looking for a Mechanical Engineer who has experience with the design and build of complex mechanical assemblies. This engineer will have a hands-on role in the design and build of fusion plasma devices and their related systems, including mechanical structures, vacuum vessels, electrodes, high-performance gas puff valves and gas delivery systems, and scientific instruments.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Participate in the engineering design of Zap’s next-generation plasma fusion devices and high-performance gas puff valves
- Work with Scientists and Research Engineers to develop design requirements
- Mechanical design, modeling, and analysis of high-performance gas puff valve parts and gas delivery systems
- Mechanical design, modeling, and analysis of plasma fusion devices (electrodes, vacuum vessels, vacuum seals)
- Mechanical design, modeling, and analysis of large structures for plasma fusion devices and pulsed-power supplies
- Assembly of plasma fusion devices and high-performance gas puff valves; occasional fabrication of small parts
- Drafting of professional engineering drawings using relevant standards
- Working with Procurement to source raw materials and finished parts
Qualifications and Skills:
- Education : B.S. or M.S in Mechanical or related engineering discipline
- Years of experience: 5+ years.
- Demonstrated experience with the design and analysis of complex mechanical assemblies
- Strong experience with computed aided design (e.g., SolidWorks, CATIA, Pro-E)
- Strong experience with material selection (metals, plastics, ceramics) for various applications
- Knowledge of traditional and advanced fabrication processes
- Strong experience with creating professional engineering drawings to industry standards
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic engineering research environment
- Experience with design for plasma systems
- Experience with design for Ultra-High Vacuum systems
- Proficiency with applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with FEA analysis of structural performance (e.g. COMSOL, ANSYS, Solidworks)
- Experience with Solidworks PDM
- Familiarity with compressed gas delivery systems and hardware
- Proficiency with shop tools including lathes, CNC mills, drill presses, and hand tools
Benefits of joining Zap Energy - While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Premium medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
Zap Energy is building a low-cost, compact and scalable fusion energy platform that conﬁnes and compresses plasma without the need for expensive and complex magnetic coils. Zap’s sheared-flow-stabilized Z-pinch technology offers the shortest potential path to commercially viable fusion and requires orders of magnitude less capital than traditional approaches. Zap Energy has over 60 employees in two facilities near Seattle and is backed by leading ﬁnancial and strategic investors. Zap Energy is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org