Zap Energy is searching for a Head of Data Science to manage a team which employs data scientific methods and machine learning techniques to study and correlate physical properties of the shear-flow-stabilized z-pinch as measured by an advanced suite of plasma diagnostics (these include ion doppler spectroscopy, x-ray diodes, interferometry, and neutron scintillators). Additionally, this person will aid in creating and curating a data pipeline between these measurements and synthetic diagnostics generated by simulations. Further management of the data acquisition teams, relevant databases and data management are additional aspects to the role.
- Leading, managing the team in the pursuit of the following activities:
- Identify where data science techniques can play an important role in extracting critical data for machine operation
- Employ machine learning algorithms to speed up scientific analysis from machine diagnostics
- Managing and cleaning large datasets and maintaining portions of data pipelines
- Maintaining specific data analysis protocols for diagnostics
- Interface between Data Science team and Computational team to build pipeline of synthetic diagnostics and leverage simulation data (e.g., via ML techniques) to enhance value extraction from more sparse experimental data.
- Lead, monitor the Controls and Acquisition team, ensuring continuity of operation, quality of data acquisition and possible improvements for future systems
- Preferred: 5+ yrs management experience with scientific or engineering teams in fast paced research and development environments.
- Required: experience deploying machine learning algorithms
- Required: experience utilizing classical data science techniques such as PCA, SVD and correlation mapping
- Required: experience leading a scientific investigation
- Required: data science analysis using packages in python like numpy, pandas, scikit, or similar
- Preferred: managing multidimensional data sets like time series, photos, and videos
- Preferred: some knowledge of typical data acquisition hardware and software (digitizers, MDS+, Labview, etc)
- Preferred: some knowledge of plasma physics and fusion
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, physics, or other technical field. (Master’s and or PhD preferred)
Zap Energy is building a low-cost, compact and scalable fusion energy platform that conﬁnes and compresses plasma without the need for expensive and complex magnetic coils. Zap’s sheared-flow-stabilized Z-pinch technology offers the shortest potential path to commercially viable fusion and requires orders of magnitude less capital than traditional approaches. Zap Energy has over 60 employees in two facilities near Seattle and is backed by leading ﬁnancial and strategic investors. Zap Energy is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.